Thursday 20 September 2012

Homemade phone holder ...

I had a spare few minutes the other day, and seeing as I don't have a phone holder on my desk I decided to make one, I can even use it to transfer files to and from the phone and charge it as well, and it cost nothing.


Here it is -

Might not be to everyone’s taste, but I like it.

It's basically made from a scrap piece of Pear wood, the micro usb cable for connecting the phone to a computer and some copper wire.


Here it is without a phone in it - 


Simple to make.

All I've done is cut a groove in the wood to hold the phone at an angle that suits where it goes on my desk, then I made a channel in the base of the stand with a router bit to hold the cable (you can see it running from the back of the stand)


The base - 

The base, I've left it a little rough looking.

On the other end of the usb cable I wrapped some twisted copper wire to make it a little less flexible, and to make it look a little more interesting.


The copper wire - 

I used a little glue to hold it in place.

And that's about it really, I did give the copper a polish using a wire brush bit in my multi-tool, just to make it a little shinier.

I guess you could say it's a bit of a hack, but I like it better than most of the boring plastic docks that are about, and to be honest it suits my personality better, that being a little eccentric and a tad mad scientist.


And this is where it sits - 


It works !

I normally have it running the clock and local weather, but the phone also has a mode for displaying pictures, kind of like a digital picture frame, like in the picture above.

As I said it might not be to everyone's taste, but I like it, and that's what matters, and if nothing else it shows I still have a little imagination left, all be it slightly warped.


" Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere " - Albert Einstein.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment